Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Month of the Most Blessed Sacrament - When the goodness and kindness of God appeared


MONTH OF THE MOST BLESSED SACRAMENT
    Meditations by St. Alphonsus Liguori

When the goodness and kindness of God our Saviour appeared. — Titus iii. 4. 

St. Paul says that God, by becoming Man, showed to the world the extent of His mercy towards us; but by His Presence in this Sacrament, He proves how tender is His love for souls. St. Augustine asks: "Does it not seem a folly to say Eat My Flesh, drink My Blood," as Jesus said to us in that blessed night; "Take ye and eat, this is My Body, to make you comprehend how much I love you, I desire that you should come and eat My very Flesh?" O holy Faith! Which of us could have expected so much? Who could ever have thought of it, if Jesus had not both thought of and done it? When some of His disciples heard, from His own Lips, that He would give them His Body to eat, they said that this thing was too hard: they could not understand or believe it, and they actually left Him because they would not believe; nevertheless faith teaches us that thus it is.

     In return for all that Jesus Christ has done for us, He requires only that we should love Him, as God once said to His chosen people: And now, Israel, what doth the Lord thy God require of thee, but that thou love Him, and serve the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul? What is there which Thou, my most loving Jesus, dost not give and promise to those who love Thee? Thou hast assured them of Thy love: I love them that love Me; Thou hast promised to receive them, though they may have turned from Thee: "Turn ye to Me" saith the Lord of Hosts; and I will turn to you; Thou dost promise to come, with the Father and the Holy Ghost, to dwell always in their souls: He that loveth Me shall be loved of my Father.... And we will come to Him and "will make our abode with Him" What more couldst Thou promise or give to induce men to love Thee? O Lord, most worthy of all love, I understand: Thou dost wish to be loved even by me; yes, I love Thee with all my heart, and if I do not, I beg of Thee to teach me. Make me love Thee, and love Thee truly: "Give what Thou commandest, and command what Thou pleasest."


  Prayers to the Ever-Blessed Mother of God
             For every Day of the Week        
    
Pope Pius VII, granted 300 days’ indulgence, once a day, and applicable to the souls in Purgatory, to all faithful who, with at least contrition of heart, should repeat these prayers each day of the week, with three Hail Mary’s after each, in atonement for the blasphemies uttered against the blessed Virgin, not only by infidels, but also by bad Christians. He also granted a plenary indulgence once a month, applicable as above, to those who, having said them daily for the month, with the three Hail Mary’s, for the above intention, shall confess and communicate, on any day at their choice, and shall pray to God for the holy Church.

                          Tuesday
Prayer to the Ever-Blessed Mary, to obtain a happy death.

What death shall I die, most holy Mary? I tremble and am confounded when I think of my sins, and of the great moment on which my eternal salvation or condemnation will depend, that in which I shall expire, and shall be judged. My beloved Mother, all my hope is in the Blood of Jesus Christ, and in thy intercession; Comforter of the afflicted, do not abandon me then, but console me in that time of sorrow: if I am now tormented by remorse for the sins I have committed, by the uncertainty whether I am forgiven, the danger of falling again, and the rigors of the Divine Justice, what shall I then be? If thou help me not I shall be lost. Most blessed Lady, before death comes, obtain for me a hearty sorrow for my sins, a thorough amendment of my life, and fidelity to God for the time that is left me; and when I reach the term of my existence, help me, Mary, my Hope, in the bitter agony I shall then undergo; strengthen me that I may not despair at the sight of my sins, which the Devil will place before me, and enable me to call on thee more frequently then, so that I may expire with thy sweet name, and that of thy Divine Son in my mouth. Most blessed Lady, forgive my presumption if I beseech thee to comfort me with thy presence before I breathe my last; thou hast granted this favour to so many of thy servants, that I too wish for it and hope it: I am indeed a sinner, and deserve it not, but I am thy servant, and I love thee, and have the greatest confidence in thee. O Mary, I expect thee, leave me not uncomforted, or at least, if I am unworthy of so great a favour, help me from thy throne of glory, that I may quit this life loving God and thee, and thus may love thee for ever in Heaven. Amen.


                        Hail Mary
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of death. Amen.
                       Hail Mary
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of death. Amen.
                      Hail Mary
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of death. Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment