Saturday, March 19, 2016

NOVENA TO ST. JOSEPH - NINTH DAY


             NOVENA TO ST. JOSEPH
                     NINTH DAY
       His Happiness, even in this Life
1. Holy Church compares the happiness of St. Joseph in this life to that of the saints in Heaven, because upon earth he was permitted to see the Man-God face to face, during thirty years, and the glory of His divinity, which, as we are permitted to believe, was from time to time manifested to him.
2. Joseph was blessed, because he learned from the examples of Jesus Christ the eight beatitudes, infallible pledges of eternal beatitude.
3. He was blessed, because he practiced them all in great perfection and to the end, under the eyes of Him who was to recompense them.

Virtues to imitate in St. Joseph
1. Choose one of the beatitudes to practise, in imitation of St. Joseph.
2. Animate yourself to the practise of the others according to circumstances.
3. See which it is, one is in most need of.

Prayer

To thee alone, blessed Joseph, does the Church address these words: "Equal in this life to the inhabitants of heaven, thou sharest in their happiness, thou enjoyest God." No one, here on earth, ever enjoyed God as thou, who, day and night, hadst Him before thy eyes, or pressed Him in thy arms; who received from the Infant Jesus so many caresses, lights, and consolations. I rejoice, I congratulate thee on this foretaste of happiness. Doubtless it was due to thee in preference to all others, since thou hadst imbibed at the eight beatitudes, during the many years that Jesus held them open to thee by the examples of His life. Thou knowest, great saint, that Jesus has shown me them also, that I may draw thence sanctity and happiness; yet, till now I have profited but little. Obtain me the grace to attach myself henceforth to His doctrine, and to commence to reproduce it in my works. I know I cannot be happy unless I become poor in spirit, meek and humble of heart, pacific, merciful, hungering after justice, and disposed to suffer persecution for it. But, accustomed to flatter my senses, to follow my inclinations, how can I raise myself above nature, how apply my mind and attach my heart to spiritual and heavenly habits? I need for that a lively faith, to raise me above all sensible and earthly objects. Do thou, amiable saint, obtain for me this faith: it will give life to my works, and, in the practice of the beatitudes, I shall find here below that happiness which is a foretaste of the felicity of the elect. Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment