Friday, September 11, 2015

NOVENA TO OUR LADY OF LA SALETTE - FIRST DAY


The Apparition of La Salette
 On the nineteenth of September, 1846, our Blessed Mother appeared to two children, Maximin Giraud, age 11, and Melanie Mathieu, age 14. The apparition took place on an Alpine slope near the town of La Salette in France. The two children, while tending cattle, came upon Our Lady enveloped in light and seated upon a stone. Her hands covered Her face but they at once realized that She was weeping. At first they became frightened, but as She rose and spoke saying,"Come near, my children, be not afraid, I am here to tell you great news. They approached and stood before Her in mute admiration. Having become accustomed to the brilliant light that surrounded "The Beautiful Lady, they at once saw that Her shoes were sparkling white, the buckles thereon were square and golden. Encircling Her shoes were tiny roses which were not crushed as She stood on the tips of the blades of grass. Over a shining white robe, She wore a full length golden apron. Along the border of a white kerchief adorning Her robe, there were roses of many colors and a thin golden chain. A crucifix and the pincers and hammer of the Sacred Passion rested on Her breast. Her headdress was white and crowned with a diadem wreathed with roses of many hues. She was so resplendent in that the noon-day sun seemed to lose its brilliancy. Her face was exceedingly beautiful yet profoundly sad. It bespoke the beauty of heaven, yet it portrayed the burden of suffering.

With rapt attention the two children
listened as they heard "The Beautiful
Lady  speak:



"If my people will not submit, I shall be forced to let go the arm of my Son.

It is so strong, so heavy, that I can no longer withhold it.

How long a time do I suffer for You! If I would not have my Son abandon you, I am compelled to pray to him without ceasing.

And as to you, take no heed of it. However much you pray, however much you do, you will never recompense the pains I have taken for you.

Six days have I given you to labor, the seventh I have kept for myself, and they will not give it to me.

It is this which makes the arm of my son so heavy.

Those who drive the carts cannot swear without using the name of my Son.
These are the two things which make the arm of my Son so heavy.

If the harvest is spoiled, it is all on your account. I gave you warning last year in the potatoes, but you did not heed it. On the contrary, when you found the potatoes spoilt, you swore, you took the name of my Son in vain. They will continue to decay, so that by Christmas there will be none left." 

FIRST DAY

In casting myself at thy feet, O loving
Mother, to ask thee:

(here mention your request),

I cannot help remembering that thou earnest on the mountain of La Salette, first of all, to remind me of my Christian duties. Therefore, there is no surer way for me to have my petition granted, than to return to the friendship of Jesus, by a sincere confession, and to endeavor with my
whole strength to overcome my besetting sin. O Virgin Reconciler of sinners, obtain for me this most precious of all graces, for, with it all the rest shall be added unto me. The numberless miracles obtained by those who invoke thee under the title of Our Lady of La Salette, fill my heart with hope that my petition shall prove as fortunate as those addressed to thee, by so many other suppliants. Vouchsafe, O Mother, during each day of my novena, to instill into my
heart some of the teaching of thy merciful
Apparition. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment